Happy Valentine's Day!
I wanted to feature a romantic movie on this special day. Unfortunately, there are 2 mediocre chick flicks in theaters right now, nothing I can highly recommend.
One of them is based on the newest Nicholas Sparks books, and because this blog is all about reading and writing, I thought I'd feature this one below from my movie review blog.
One of my all-time favorite movies about true love is "The Princess Bride." What is yours?
Movie Title: The Choice
- “Life just keeps unfolding. If you sit still, it’ll pass you by altogether.” – Gabby (Teresa Palmer)
- “Life is held together by choices – all sizes.” – Gabby
- “Opportunity is missed by most people, because it’s dressed up in overalls and looks a lot like work.” – Thomas Edison, as quoted by Shep (Tom Wilkinson)
- “Every path you take leads to another choice.” – Travis (Benjamin Walker)
- Most of the movie takes place lakeside with beautiful views.
- Cute puppies!
- Teresa Palmer looks like the All-American girl next door.
- Nicholas Sparks tries to add depth to his romantic stories. His most recent tale-turned-Chick-Flick was “The Longest Ride.” You can see my movie review of that film here. That film did it much better than this one.
- If you’re thinking about cheating on your boyfriend, you’ll see what a two-timer feels like.
- There’s a funny proposal scene.
- Everything about this movie is clichéd, even the clothing. For example, he wears a tank top to show off his muscles and she wears a white t-shirt in the rain.
- A lot of movie critics are begging Nicholas Sparks to stop writing such cheesy love stories that then get turned into sappy movies.
- Benjamin Walker drinks bottles of beer in a weird way. I know that seems nit-picky, but it bugged me.
- They try to have clever chit-chat, but it comes out forced and predictable. The actors look like they’re acting.
- SPOILER ALERT: A happy ending is an easy out. The harder ending would have been to write something more interesting.
- Both Travis and Gabby are too cocky for my taste. They fight and bicker from the very first moment they meet, which is a clichéd, although not appealing, form of flirtation.
- What kind of character does a girl have who jumps in bed with another guy when her boyfriend has only been gone a few days on a business trip? Does true love excuse lack of integrity or morality? Um...nope.
- “What are you doing?” – Gabby
- “Mama, he’s a walking cautionary tale.” - Gabby
- “Has anyone ever said no to you?” – Gabby
- “Your friends, family…that’s all you can count on in this world. That’s what I believe.” – Travis
- “I kind of fell into the Bible. He wanted to burn it.” – Shep
- “If you see a man sleeping on the cold floor, there’s sure to be a pretty woman nearby.” – Shep
- “There’s no shame in being a broken man. I should know. You just pick up the pieces and start rebuilding.” – Shep
- “That’s all any woman wants…a man who’s going to fight.” (for her) - Monica (Alexandra Daddario)
- Girls falling out of their bikini tops.
- One girl flips the bird.
- Some profanity.
- Two people jump in bed together on their very first date.
- Take the opportunity to talk to your family about “Do Not Resuscitate” orders.