I was doing some research for a Christmas thing this week and thought I'd make it into a little quiz. I hope you have fun!
1. Two hundred years before the birth of Christ, the Druids used mistletoe to celebrate the coming of winter. What did they believe it did?
- It had healing powers.
- It warded off evil spirits.
- It helped the winter to be less sever.
2. Where did the tradition of kissing under the mistletoe come from?
- The red of the berries symbolizes love.
- The Scandinavians associated mistletoe with their goddess of love, Frigga.
- Eating the berries gives the euphoric feeling of being in love.
3. Poinsettias are native to what country?
4. In the 1800's, the poinsettia was believed to be symbolic of what?
- The star of Bethlehem.
- The mother, Mary.
- The birth of Jesus Christ.
5. What country did the Christmas tree originate from?
6. Where was St. Nicolas, the first Santa Clause, born?
7. What is the belief behind the Yule Log?
- It is believed to burn away the last year's evil.
- It is believed to warm the Christ child when he comes.
- It is believed to welcome all to it's warmth and beauty.
8. What were the first Christmas trees decorated with?
- Cookies and candies.
- Flowers and fruit.
For the answers, click here! Hope this was fun for you! Merry Christmas!