Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Signings are More Fun in Groups

Don Carey has already posted about THIS, but I thought I'd share my perspective. :)


Please ignore my goofy smile lol.

This is a pretty sweet group to work with. All of us have stories to share, and a willingness to listen to one another. That can make a long car ride really enjoyable--and it did.

Tamara Heiner is quite a skilled author, and I'm looking forward to her next book. I'm also hoping she will trust her instincts and go with what she knows is good. ;)

Lynn Parsons knows her stuff. I love listening to her, and I know I didn't get 10% of the information she has to offer. It's my hope her book will reach members of the church the world over. It will help a lot of people.

Don Carey is totally fun, and patient. He talked airplanes because my daughter (who came along for the second leg of our trip) wanted to know. And, he and I share a love of the movie Labyrinth, which apparently is not shared by his family--so we made Lynn sit through the soundtrack on the way from Arkansas. Poor Lynn, but she's a good sport! :)

Summer is a difficult time for book signings. Everyone has trips, and all sorts of other plans that interfere with trying to get them into a bookstore to see you. However, I will suggest to all authors that they contact their local Hastings Books and Music stores. Seriously. They have a motto of being your home town bookstore, which is why you don't see them in many big cities. They like to promote local authors, and will do a wonderful job if you give them enough time. We had a twofold problem--we didn't give them enough time and we were up against the biggest garage sale in the world. I'd forgotten, but Duncan, OK does that every year and it's city/county wide.

Still, this was an invaluable experience and I look forward to repeating it.

0 comments: