Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Experience in Attending a Great Workshop, Continued

We are now to Thursday of the workshop, and we discuss how to prepare a working outline before getting involved in the writing, itself. I've never done an outline, per say, so I was listening very carefully.

Here is a quick outline of the outline.

1. Develop the characters virtues, secret powers, lifestyle, etc.
2. Present an overwhelming threat - shock and awe - or low-key.
3. Opening conflict
4. The middle, where the story deepens.
5. The revelation.
7. The strategy
8. The reversals
9. The ending.

I realize that it is a very short outline but I need to get on to the next part . . . the part where I tell you that after the session on the outline, we each had to think of a story we would like to write then we had to outline the story.

You know what? It was quite an education and rather fun to do. But what was even more fun was once we read our outline to the rest of the class, they got to make suggestions that would make the outline even better. Thus came the greatest learning opportunity.

When the week ended I think everyone went home feeling it very much worth the time and money. I know I did.

Before I finish my post, I will apologize because I can't help myself. I have to tell you of another exciting week, This past week we traveled to Nampa, Idaho, where one grandson was ordained a Deacon, and another grandson received his Eagle. To add to that we got to see four baseball games.

On Thursday and Friday, we attended our granddaughter's graduation and Commemoration from BYU. She graduated with a GPA of 3.99, majoring in English and minoring in Editing. Yes, she loves to write.

Life is good. Thank you for stopping by.

0 comments: