Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Holistic Writing

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a holistic kind of a woman. (This is evidenced by my personal blog.) I believe that optimum health and well-being comes from not just the body, but also the mind, spirit, and emotions. When one of these elements is out of place, it can affect the well-being of all the others, creating imbalance and discord.

I've noticed this about writing a good book as well. So the following are some elements of a book that I think are important, in order to have balance:

The body of the book: Is it well written? How is the grammar and editing? How is the flow of thoughts?

The mind of the book: Does it make you think? If it's fiction, are there any plot holes? Are there any moments where the potential audience may be thinking, "How many more pages are left in this thing, anyway?"

The spirit of the book: Is there a message or overall feeling you wish to convey to your audience? Uplifting, peace, action, or love?

The emotion of the book: This one is super important to me. Okay, these are all super important to me, but this one is especially so. Does it make you cry or laugh or say, "What in the world was she thinking?!"

Of course there are many other factors that go into a good book besides these elements. But the point is, just like good health, strengthening all these areas is ideal for balance and your (and your audience's) well-being.

0 comments: