Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Good morning, Monday!

I'm TRYING to be glad it's Monday, but sometimes I feel like Garfield the cat. :)

Having a writer's brain can be a fascinating thing. It can also be a pain in the neck. Take yesterday, for instance. My husband and two of my sons went camping with some friends. As I drove out to Murray behind them, mainly because I really wanted a drive, my brain kept wandering. I re-plotted, again, the first few chapters of The Wild Queen. I saw a cool car and thought, oh--that story I was playing with about the woman who witnesses a shooting. She never described the car. That style would work, and color. But what about plugging a past event, so the car would stay in her memory? I wonder if Buick uses that color...

And so it went. The whole drive I had to fight with my writer's brain, because I really like to concentrate on driving while I'm, well, driving. You know? And all I really wanted to do was pull over and write some stuff down.

I wonder if I'm the only one who struggles with this, so I thought I'd toss it out there this morning. How many of you find your mind wandering to writing things when you really need to be focused on the "here and now?"

Come on, I know I'm not the only one. :)

2 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

My mind wanders like that, too.

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

I am constantly thinking writing instead of anything else. LOL We are a strange lot of people aren't we?